Day one we drove down to the border in a raised suburban on 4wd jeep roads. We all stepped into Mexico just to say we did. It wasn't too hot to begin with, probably in the 80s. We were exposed to what the trail would be like during New Mexico very quickly as we followed what seemed to be "the trail," but they ended up just being cow trails that took us away from CDT signs. The excitement of being on trail for the first day kept us going as we entered the Hatchet Mountains. These mountains are very beautiful for the swirl effect they have. The layers of rock have completely inverted over on themselves making the swirl. We walked through the canyon and popped out on the east of the mountains where we napped and ate some cold ramen that was agreeably the best treat of the day, even my mom, the vegetarian, gluten-free-cookie-eater was raving about it. We went a couple more miles through some spiny bushes as we searched for trail makers in the foothills of the Big Hatchet Mountains and slept in a ravine. We all slept like little babies because we only got 2 hours sleep the night prior due to the drive to NM from Los Angeles. 

Day two we got going and continued looking for signs as we approached the next water cache. We tanked up then continued through the foothills of the Little Hatchet Mountains, past a prominent limestone ridge line called Howell Ridge, and to a windmill where we napped and got water. Luckily my dad was able to turn on the water that was enclosed in a timer case. If it weren't for that we were looking at drinking murky cow water. After the nap, we finished the day by arriving at Coyote Hills. We saw a route that would take us up and through a canyon instead of around it as the trail takes you, so we went to it. We ended up camping at the southern end of Coyote Hills in a protected canyon. Before dark, I scrambled up a peak to get a good view of the area and make a couple phone calls. 

Day three we woke up, continued up the canyon we entered and down the other side to meet the trail again. This is where the trail turned magical. We were now locked in the Coyote Hills and large, Moab esque pinnacles began to sprout up above us on either side. The canyon glistened with a deep, Indian red in the morning sunlight. We all agreed that it was the highlight of the trip. After exiting the hills, we noticed we would be walking on a flat desert floor to a large peak called pyramid peak. It was evident which one that would be, as it was the only large pyramid shaped peak in the distance. We then spent literally the rest of the day approaching it-- hopping over, limboing under barbed wire and "questionable property lines" as we got closer ever so slowly. We found a lone tree in the shrub ridden desert floor that we napped under at 2. And finally, at the very end of the day we reached the massive pyramid peak and slept right under it as our reminder of how far we had come, which we calculated to be 28 miles at the end of the day. 

Day four we victory marched about 12 miles into Lordsburg and immediately went to Mcdonalds. There we met Buck 30 who is attempting his double triple crown. One McGriddle, a McMuffin, fries, hash browns and a Doctor pepper later, my parents drove me to the econolodge where I took off. I took a wrong turn in town and added about a mile by some mobile homes. A little girl kept yelling and asking her dad, "why is that man walking in the desert?" A valid question really. Why I walking in the desert? Cause Canada. 


Read More